Bereavement




Death is a mirror in which the entire meaning of life is reflected.


- The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying



The death of my father was for me the first loss of someone really close. I'd felt sad about the death of more distant relatives and other people I'd known, but bereavement truly becomes an issue, with the death of a key figure in our life. That first Bereavement was shattering for me, mostly because all the beliefs I had around death became feeble, when I actually found myself in the presence of a loved one, taking his last rasping breath. There was no hint of an afterlife, of heavenly presence, redemption or resurrection. There were staring lifeless eyes, and emptiness.


My philosophy, my faith, the ideals in which I had found comfort, all seemed empty, whilst I sat upon the deathbed.


A short while later, perhaps a quarter hour, sat still, I did feel a sense of release, and felt uplifted, as though all the suffering of the illness, that wasted my dad's body, was finally and completely over.

I said to my quietly sobbing mother, “I call feel him here now.”

She said, “I don't feel anything.”



What Bereavement Means


Naked in death upon an unknown shore.


- Virgil, Aeneid


"I know what you're feeling."

I never liked hearing that while I suffered through bereavement. To give a list of all the awful emotions bereavement involves, doesn't even begin to describe the actual and individual experience. I didn't want people trying to cheer me up, though I'd put on a brave face to please them, and it really didn't help. I didn't like it when some well meaning friend, with their tidy bit of psychology, started talking about the stage I was at, and what stage was next, and then I'd be fine again. I didn't like how colleagues kept a respectful distance, as though they needed to be quiet and solemn around me.

“I'm sorry about your loss. If there's anything I can do, let me know.”


I remember my mother saying that eventually she stopped opening the cards of condolence that kept arriving. They became too upsetting. It's almost as though we don't quite know how to be around someone who's suffering this particular misfortune. Death is kept at a respectful distance, with cards, flowers and dark clothing. The funeral business is wrapped in black and hushed respectful words. When it's all over, then life goes on, bereavement is something we're supposed to do, and then we're expected to get over it.


My work as a counsellor has revealed that so much of what we've learned to get over, is not actually over. Those dark feelings can reappear, almost out of nowhere, rekindle anger and despair, darken our experience and disturb our sleep. We can find ways to cope better with our suffering, but it can still be there, waiting, and especially when we are alone.



Fear


It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.


- Woody Allen


Losing someone close to you can all too easily lead to loneliness; the fear of being alone. There are often fears relating to the future, including insecurity, isolation and emptiness. Bereavement can manifest anger, and I've seen and felt this in my own family. Beneath the rage is frustration, blame, confusion, and at the very base and foundation, fear.


Feelings about our own death are easily stirred up by bereavement, and thoughts about one's own mortality are very often needled with fear. Fatality generally comes with infirmary; there will be pain, possibly agony, and then what? Extinction? Heaven? Resurrection? Whatever dire or hopeful belief or image we hold on to, the honest answer is that Death remains ultimately unknown. This is not to deny any religious or secular viewpoint, but the experience of bereavement can take even our deepest articles of faith, and grind them through the mill.



Bereavement Counselling


Death is the only wise adviser we have . . . Your death will tell you, “I haven't touched you yet.”


- Carlos Castaneda, Journey to Ixtlan


I would never assume that someone suffering bereavement should be experiencing any particular emotion. Their experience is always unique and individual, and often includes beautiful feelings and remembrances, as well as all the painful issues. Friends and family want to help us to “move on,” so we can “get on” with life. But it's not possible to “fix” this problem; we can't bring the loved one back. All the comforting words and understanding in the world does not undo death. So what is it, that makes the difference between friendly support and counselling?


The difference comes in the willingness to explore those very thoughts feelings and beliefs about death. Rather than escape avoid or distract from painful emotions, counselling seeks a deeper understanding, which leads to healing rather than relief.


Counselling can make a big difference, but it's not necessarily an easy way. A counsellor will have their own ideas and faith, and their own fears. Those fears can leave some counsellors fishing for coping strategies, comforting words, or some other tactic to escape the fear of death and non-existence. But with the willingness to face the fear itself, counselling can become a powerful process.


It is here where the whole sense of meaning or purpose in life can be honestly reassessed. The death of someone close can be a wake up call; a harsh reminder that our own time is limited. Do I want to continue living as I am, or is there some other, more essential calling, that I have been ignoring or postponing?


There is so much in life that we just get on or put up with. The practicalities of living all too often obscure what life is actually about. The message from our dear departed can be very much about living, about doing what is of real and true value in life.



Healing Emotional Wounds


How do I know that love of life is not a delusion; and that the dislike of death is not like a child that is lost and does not know the way home.


- Chuang Tzu (369-286 BCE)


I was spending a difficult evening with friends, soon after telling myself that it was time to get on with life. It seemed that people were being especially nice, but at the same time, didn't have much to say to me, but perhaps that was just me. One of those friends Pauline, found me by myself, and came to talk, and she talked like she normally talked, with smiles and a gentle Irish accent, and without the sorry sympathy look everyone else seemed to wear. It felt like the first proper conversation since that deathbed experience.


She talked about the death of her own father, back in Ireland, and her family had gathered from continents to be together, at home, just once more. It was a beautiful experience, and before I knew what was happening, my own story unfolded, and it seemed we were talking about what really mattered. It's said that time heals, and my healing began somewhere around there.


Only later did I think, “Hold on, Pauline works as a counsellor. Did she just counsel me?”


I'm still not sure, but now that I'm a counsellor myself, I find that bereavement is often behind and amongst the worries and fears that bring people to counselling. The loss of a relationship, loss of career, the loss of anything we hold dear, can leave us deeply wounded. Counselling can provide a safe and nourishing place for healing to begin.





Robin Collins MBACP





Robin is available for individual counselling and group meditation sessions in Gandy Street, Exeter.


For more information:

listen@sharedspacecounselling.co.uk

07961410023